No matter where you turned on Dec. 1st you probably saw red in honor of World AIDS Day. If you were logged onto Facebook or Twitter or was sitting at your local Starbucks enjoying a cup of coffee, red ribbons and the spirit of AIDS awareness was in the air. On December 1st AIDS Fund has partnered with Broad Street Ministry and the Sapphire Fund to host a night of awareness and education.The event consisted of , artistic performances, free HIV counseling and rapid testing. This event was a great mix of education and fun.
This World AIDS Day the Philadelphia region had the privilege of meeting the fabulous Project Runway Star, Jack Mackenroth. Jack was the emcee of the event and spoke about his educational HIV campaign called “Living Positive By Design”. In this program, Mackenroth shares his perspective as someone who has lived with HIV for more than 20 years via a series of local events in partnership with HIV/AIDS organizations.For more information visit LivingPositiveByDesign.com.
Jack Mackenroth first opend up to the world about his positive status during his time on Project Runway. He continues to use his voice to offer others living with the disease hope as cohost on the POZIAM Radio, a weekly internet radio show that shares stories of people living with HIV/AIDS.
|Jack Mackenroth & Robert Breining|
Did you know ?
- According to UNAIDS estimates, there are now 33.3 million people living with HIV
- During 2009 some 2.6 million people became newly infected
- An estimated 30,000 people in the Philadelphia region are currently living with HIV.
- The city of Philadelphia has an HIV infection rate that is 5 times the national average.
- Every 9 1/2 minutes a person is infected with HIV the U.S.